European Patent Convention
We're building a new improved epo.org to provide a better digital service for our users and this pilot version of a new epo.org is the first step in the process. You can switch to the current epo.org at any time by clicking on the EPO logo.
With your feedback on the pilot for new epo.org we can improve and refine our plans for new epo.org. We would be grateful if you would share your thoughts.
17th edition / November 2020
The 17th edition of the European Patent Convention is available. It contains:
- the text of the Convention on the Grant of European Patents (EPC) as in force since 13 December 2007
- the EPC Implementing Regulations as in force since 1 July 2020
- the Rules relating to Fees as in force since 1 July 2020
- the rules of procedure of the Boards of Appeal and the Enlarged Board of Appeal
- the protocols which are integral parts of the EPC (Protocol on the Interpretation of Article 69 EPC, Protocol on Centralisation, Protocol on Recognition, Protocol on Privileges and Immunities, Protocol on Staff Complement)
- an extract from the EPC Revision Act of 29 November 2000 and
- the Administrative Council's decision of 28 June 2001 on the transitional provisions under Article 7 of the Revision Act.
It also contains an index of decisions and opinions of the Enlarged Board of Appeal published in the EPO's Official Journal (Annex I) and an EPC 1973-EPC 2000 crossreference index (Annex II).
Available formats and amendments
This version is regularly updated and includes all texts as currently in force, i.e. with any amendments as from their entry into force. It is optimised for online use and contains links to EPC provisions and OJ items published from 2014 onwards.
Use "Version history" to find any earlier versions of a provision and any related transitional rules.
Use "Show modifications" to check what has changed in the HTML version since adoption of the version published in the 17th print edition (November 2020).
To facilitate searching offline and printing, selected instruments are available as amended since the print edition for download in PDF format: European Patent Convention (EPC), Implementing Regulations and Rules relating to Fees.
Published in December 2020 and so does not reflect any amendments adopted by the Administrative Council since its publication.
All such amendments are listed at the start.
Optimised for browsing the entire text (EPC, protocols, etc.) offline and for full-text searching.